Skip to main content

Tapering for the Long Run

Tapering is the hardest thing to do for most runners. Usually, it's done one to two weeks before a major race and the runner is to decrease their mileage to a very low number and effort. This seems like a deal, but to runners, it can be excruciating. All those months of training have made it intuitive to run and run with purpose. To lay off, doesn't feel natural. It almost feels like giving up. In fact, most runners will be irrational and think that by tapering they will lose their ability to finish the race or lose some endurance they have worked so hard to build. You can equate it to cramming for a test the night before. Cramming never is effective. You are too tired the next day do grab the answers from your brain. The same goes for running. You have to trust that the training is working and that all your body has learned is still there to get you across the finish line. It will not be those last few days of pounding out unnecessary mileage and effort that helps you do it. In fact, cramming will only create tired legs that will have a harder time getting across the finish; instead of having a well-focused mind with fresh legs to do the job for you.

Why am I sharing all this with you? Because it is what I have to tell myself every time before a scheduled race. Yes, it never is  intuitive for me. It is always a deliberation.

But two weeks ago, I went for tapering even though I had no upcoming race. My right knee and leg were giving me problems and running was just not going well for me. I couldn't stretch it out. I couldn't rub it out. My knee, hip, and portion of my foot just kept feeling tight and crickety. The miles were feeling longer and impossible.

A long time ago,  I had promised myself not to be one of those runners who ran with pain but to listen to my body and give it time to rest and heal itself. So I did. Reluctantly. And yes, Runner's Guilt set in. So over two weeks, I ran a total of 12 miles. Far short from my 72 mile goal I had set pre-injury.
My leg was feeling stronger even if my mind was in conflict. After two weeks, my body felt ready to take on a long run, but feeling is not doing and so this past Saturday I would find out if my resting plan had worked.

While I have not signed up for a full marathon, I keep running with my peeps who have and I run their long run training plan. This Saturday they were running 18 miles, so this means I would run 18 miles with them.   Could I do it after a two week hiatus?

More on how I fared next post.

"Running is nothing more than a series of arguments between the part of your brain that wants to stop and the part of your brain that wants to keep going" Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Just Run

Me with my son, James, after our first race together. As long as I can remember, I have run. Of course, I have come a long way from the days of using a clock and street blocks to track my time, and distance but overall, I am still just that girl who wants to run, but with fancier stuff now. You can blame it on the Physical Fitness Awards that we were introduced to in school. My sister and I loved to hustle and our eyes were on the prize: The Presidential Award. I still remember the gold seal that decorated the certificate and made it stand out against the rest. Every year, I looked forward to earning it. If you go back to that track or field we had to use in those days to run, you would have seen two chicken-legged twin Mexican girls running as fast as we could, while our friends walked chilled back along the track.  I am sure they thought we were crazy. Some days I still wonder if I am, especially when I roll out of bed on a Saturday morning at 4:00 a.m. to go on my lon

Baby, It's Cold Outside! Ok, for me, not you.

So, I am pretty sure I will not have something to write every day that I want to share, but I feel this overwhelming need to just state once again how much I hate to run in the cold. For me, this weather is COLD (47◦F)! To some, it is perfect- what they have been waiting for the whole year after experiencing the heavy muggy hot weather that dominates Houston, Texas, Two months ago, I started running twice a week with my friend who lives in a different subdivision. The trail we run outside her subdivision is a smooth round loop that is about 1.5 miles around.   I like to meet her there because the trail has an easy surface and a nice view that is a welcome break from my normal running routine.   Since we run early in the morning, we get great glimpses of the moon and often see deer drinking water from the pond. My friend has a natural fast pace, so running with her has improved my own pace as well as given me a changeup in my running routine. Plus, we just have some great girl

To run or not to run, that is to sleep in.

This morning, I did not wake up to run. Well, I did wake up but only to turn my alarm clock off. Then, I went back to bed.   A lot of runners like it when it gets cold. I am not one of them. I prefer to run in moderate temperatures not ones that make me feel like my lungs are burning and my skin is screaming. Yes, sadly enough, this temperature is usually around 50◦F depending on the wind shield.   Although, I will make myself do it from time to time to prepare for any type of race day. Today was not a day I was particularly inclined to do so. The good news is that the weather will be moderately warm for me to run in later. I will be able to run a smooth pace in the sun.   This makes me happy. Like most runners, I carve my day out around my run. A lot of people (non runners) wonder why we do this.   What do we get out of it? Why is it almost an obsession for us? While I can’t answer for all runners, I believe I can answer for most. I do believe it is our” ME”ditation